Saturday, October 30, 2010

Podcasting

Prior to this weeks studies, I was not completely new to podcasts but I also was not far from it. I have used podcasts in one previous class. I enjoyed the use of the podcasts and seemed to learn a great deal from it. It was much more enjoyable than reading directly from a textbook. But, it was also difficult at times if I missed something that was said because it was not very fluent if I continuously had to rewind it. There are many great ways that podcasts can be used in the classroom. As with the other technologies, if used appropriately in the classroom, it can definitely be a benefit to have. I am saying that a teacher should not attempt to replace any live presentation with the podcast. Instead it should be used to enhance what is accomplished face to face.

Podcasting does not appear to be too different from most of the other Web 2.0 applications we have been discussing thus far. There are a lot of great aspects about them all. They allow the student to learn in a much more advanced manner than only having the textbook. The applications provide students with the ability to interact with other students locally and across the globe as well. This is very helpful with our changing world and diversity in America. This type of learning allows students to learn about the culture of others where they would not be able to otherwise.

I personally do not own an MP3 player of any type. The funny thing is that my son is nine years old and he owns an iPod and an MP3 player. I sometimes use his iPod but he only has music and movies on it. He also has an iPod that has been provided to him through his school for music memory. I would be very interested in using one of these devices in my classroom. As stated in our lecture, students are very concerned with there appearance to others and would be much more likely to listen and learn if others were unaware of what they were actually doing. There are many advantages to online communication tools like I have previously described. It allows the students so much more opportunity to learn with and from others that would not be possible without the tools. As far as I can tell, the only real disadvantage would be for a teacher to rely on these tools too much.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is great that podcasting offers another way to learn besides textbooks too. It is more catering to those students who find it difficult to learn by using textbooks. My teacher records all of his lectures and use podcasting so it is definitely great that I have the option of just listening to it as I clean and do other things.

    ReplyDelete